Alumni Monitor’s Campaign Tracker Review for August 2017
As part of its Alumni Monitor service, Corporate Insight publishes a quarterly analysis of comprehensive university giving campaigns gathered through our proprietary campaign data tracking system. The Campaign Tracker offers an in-depth view of how higher education institutions are progressing toward their stated fundraising goals and highlights the tools, outreach efforts and solicitations that have proven successful. Let’s look at some of the tracker’s most notable moments since the end of Q1 2017:
Two schools—Columbia University and Swarthmore College—launched the public phases of their giving campaigns, and three schools—American University, Amherst College and University of Virginia—started their quiet phases in Q2. Bucknell University, Duke University and George Washington University completed their capital campaigns on June 30, surpassing their goals of $500 million, $3.25 billion and $1 billion, respectively. NYU completed its Momentum campaign on August 31 but has not yet released its final results. Most notably, GW ended its Making History campaign a year early with 66,959 donors raising a total of $1,023,690,000; Duke Forward raised a total of $3,850,000,000 from 315,000 supporters.
Out of our 27 currently active campaigns (as of August 31, 2017):
- 32% of active campaigns have reached more than $2 billion
- Three universities—Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Michigan—raised at least $4 billion
- 25 schools are more than halfway to their goals
- Ten are at or above 90% completion
- Harvard and Villanova have already surpassed their goals by at least 11%, while Michigan and Johns Hopkins surpassed their goals by 2% each
- Washington University in St. Louis surpassed its goal by 5%
- 12 campaigns have at least 100,000 donors
- Six colleges and universities—BU, Brown, Case Western, Davidson, Indiana and Northeastern—hosted a giving day
- Five schools—Brown, Holy Cross, Northwestern, Wellesley and William and Mary—launched or completed at least one giving challenge separate from a giving day
- The average percentage of alumni who donate (among campaigns that provide this info) is 48.9%
Keep checking the CI Higher Education Blog for updates from the Alumni Monitor Campaign Tracker, which aggregates and analyzes higher ed fundraising data across a series of verticals, including total funds raised, percentage of goal completed, alumni participation, total number of donors, duration and other noteworthy elements.